Monday 14 April 2014

My Favorite Sunless Tanner





I have to admit, I love a nice healthy sun-kissed glow on my skin. It looks great! but it wasn't always this way.

For centuries women aimed to have pale skin. Having pale, untanned skin was a symbol of wealth, whereas a tanned, leathery complexion was associated with the laboring working class.

Many women used parasols while outside to shade themselves from the sun. Rooms in homes were often shuttered with dark heavy velvet curtains to keep out the sun's rays. Some women even went as far to paint fine blue lines on their skin to increase the appearance of delicate translucent skin showing veins. For centuries, tanned skin was considered unattractive, especially among women. That all changed though in 1923!

Rodan + Fields
In 1923 Coco Chanel was seen leaving the Duke of Wellington’s yacht with a deep suntan.
As the story goes fashion icon Coco Chanel was seen leaving the Duke of Wellington’s yacht with a deep suntan. Women and the fashion industry took this new bold suntan as Chanel making a fashion statement. Women everywhere instantly tossed away the parasols and began to incorporate dark tanned skin into their fashion..and the trend has never really faded.

The reality is that Coco Channel accidentally got too much sun while cruising the French Riviera but the press assumed the influential designer was making a fashion statement.

Back then women didn't know what we now know about what years of sun tanning can do not only to your skin but your health.

Here's some interesting facts:

  • As much as 80% of our facial aging is caused by our sun habits
  • 90% of all skin cancers are caused by sun exposure
  • Only 33% of us routinely use sun protection.

If you've read my other posts you know I am a huge fan of Rodan + Fields sunscreen. I re-apply it every 2 hours and re-apply right after I get out of my pool. I've been using it for almost 2 years...and I absolutely love it.

The problem is I really like to have the sun kissed glow as well. But I don't want the aging skin or possibility of skin cancer that comes with the sun or tanning beds.


Rodan + Fields
Rodan + Fields Foaming Sunless Tan available in Canada August 2014

I found another great product by Rodan + Fields, called Essentials Foaming Sunless Tan. It's lightweight, oil-free and most importantly mess-free! It doesn't irritate my skin or leave it looking orange.

It's so easy to apply and dries quickly. I get an even, natural-looking tan every time I use it - without exposure to the harmful UVA and UVB rays.

This product is only available in the US at this time, but will be available in Canada in August 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment